Thursday, January 28, 2021

Paddling to De Courcy Island

 It was a peaceful day here weather-wise and Wednesday had been spent applying rather toxic basement oil paint, so I decided to get out of the reno house and paddle out to De Courcy Island. 


I left from the Cedar boat ramp, which is the closest launch spot that is freely accessible to De Courcy.

Cedar boat launch - note the amazing quantity of drift logs on the beach - there were hundreds also floating just off the coast

I paddled across to the north end of Link Island, passing Round island on the way. Link island links De Courcy to its more northerly neighbour - Mudge Island.


Tiny houses on Round Island off Cedar. The water today was lovely and clear


Link Island sandstone formations


More 'modern art' in the bluffs on the west side of Link Island


Paddling down Link Island, you come to a gap where, at least at this tide, I was able to pass between Link and De Courcy islands. I stopped to admire a beautiful stout little wooden launch at a property in the gap.


Amity is a lovely wooden boat that appears to be used to get to and from this waterfront house. Everything is off grid on De Courcy and there is no ferry. I could hear a wind generator running above on a tower poking out of the trees

I paddled down the east side of De Courcy, passing through an oyster lease area inside of Long Island and coming ashore on the float at Pirate's Cove - a place I usual sail to


Boats near Pirates Cove

I walked around De Courcy and met a number of the locals, several of whom are spending time out here because it is less limiting with the Covid restrictions than being in Vancouver or Nanaimo. The island is home to an eclectic mix - several of whom 'discovered' the island while cruising on their sailboats. Some residents I met came here in the 1960's and 70's as children on their parent's boats.  

Around 3pm I headed back to Cedar, making a circuit of De Courcy by paddling up its west side. This island, like Gabriola, Galiano, and Valdes, has some lovely sandstone erosion on its west side.

These formations almost look like writing

In places there are quite spectacular cliffs and overhangs

More lovely textures and colours as the sun peeked through the clouds


I see a vulture carved in the rock

I had the ocean to myself on the return trip, except for one larger RIB that was heading up through Dodd Narrows.

No comments:

Post a Comment